Tin sarcophagus of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Stefan Batory will be taken to a workshop in Silesia. After preservation, it will be returned in December.
The witnesses to the opening of the sarcophagus were Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, as well as the Consul of Hungary in Cracow Dr. Adrian Kyurmendy. The opening took place in the framework of conservation pursued by the cathedral parish.
The tin sarcophagus must return to the Wawel castle complex in Cracow in December. After that, a complex modernization of the Stefan Batory crypt is planned.
Stefan Batory was Grand Duke of Lithuania for ten years, from 1576 to 1586. Was also King of Poland. When Batory was in power, every third Sejm of Rzeczpospolita took place in Hrodna.