Woman sets off blast near Vitsebsk KGB office?

A 43-year-old woman has been charged with detonating a home-made explosive device near the regional office of the KGB in Vitsebsk in November 2012.

According to Ina Harbachova, spokeswoman for Vitsebsk regional office of the Investigative Committee, numerous fragments of a metal energy drink can, duct tape and other physical evidence found at the scene eventually enabled investigators to identify the perpetrator.

As a result of expert examinations and investigative activities, the gender of the suspect was established and a conclusion was made that she or her family members suffered from a “certain disease,” Ms Harbachova told BelaPAN.

A search of her home revealed a notebook containing tips for making explosive substances and newspaper clips, including information about the bomb explosion near the KGB office in Vitsebsk, Ms Harbachova said.

Investigators also discovered several homemade explosive devices hidden inside energy drink and beer cans as well as about 100 firecrackers, an air pistol, polymer containers, duct tape, sodium nitrate and other objects that linked the woman to the crime scene, Ms Harbachova said. The bombs were similar to the one that had exploded near the KGB office, she said.
Although the woman refused to say anything to investigators, enough evidence was collected to bring charges against her and place her in a detention center. Ms Harbachova would not say anything about the woman’s suspected motives.


An improvised explosive device blew up near the KGB building in Vitsebsk at 18:48 on November 11, 2012. As a consequence of this, two windows were damaged. Three persons were detained on the basis of testimonial evidence. According to the information provided one of them had phoned the KGB department and untowardly criticised the authorities. The man was showing signs of behaviour deviation, the KGB officer said. A supposed criminal was released after being screened.

Vitsebsk is notorious for incidents of such kind. In 2005 the blast resulted in fifty persons injured. Later it was Dzmitry Kanavalau and Uladzislau Kavaliou who were found guilty of it.

Belsat, following BelaPAN


See also