In 2011, an explosion in the Minsk metro killed 15 people. Over 200 people were injured. Six months after the terrorist attack, the Supreme Court found Dzmitry Kanavalau and Uladzislau Kavaliou guilty of organizing the crime. Soon, they were executed.
The first anniversaries of the April 11 tragedy brought close relatives and victims on the steps of the Kastrychnitskaya metro station, and the memory actions were spontaneous. Seven years after the terrorist attack, everything is much more modest.
“The reform of the judicial system, independent courts, independent legal professionals and proper investigation, as well as the independent prosecutor’s office is what Belarus needs to ensure that such crimes as a terrorist attack in the Minsk metro never recur,” believes the co-chairman of the Belarusian Christian Democracy Vital Rymasheuski.
Representatives of the center-right coalition say that the case on April 11 shows once again that there is a need to introduce a moratorium on the death penalty.
“The investigation of such cases must as transparent as possible. The fact that we observed the trial and the very rapid imposition of punishment leaves many questions, whether those people were really guilty, “says Yury Hubarevich, the chairman of the Movement For Freedom.
One of the victims of the subway terrorist attack, Ihar Tumash, told Belsat his memories of that day.
“The emotions are off, you know, because if they are turned on, you burns out quickly, t was all so terrible. I remember a torn off leg next to me, a piece of human meat with clothes. When I went out, they were giving away water, napkins. I was amazed how the Minskers behaved. The taxi driver did not want to take money from me,” Ihar recalls.
The author of the book “Who blew up the Minsk metro?” Journalist Aleg Hruzdilovich says that he could not understand what the accused Kanavalau and Kavaliou were trying to achieve. The former never pleaded guilty, while Kanavalau only said a memorized phrase: the terrorist act was committed to destabilize the situation in the country.
“Since then, 7 years have passed, and this is one of the arguments for me that it was not the work of the authorities, but the case of specific individuals, singles. By the way the motive remains unclear,” the journalist said.
Official Minsk and Alyaksandr Lukashenka had repeatedly claimed that the authorities had no relation to the organization of the crime. Sometimes it looked very unsuccessful.
The tragedy of April 11 took place against the background of the economic and political crisis in the country. During 2011, the Belarusian ruble was devalued almost three times, behind the bars were dozens of opponents of the authorities, including presidential candidates.
A new investigation into the April 11 case, if it begins, will take place under extremely difficult conditions. After all, there are no main witnesses. And this is the main argument for the abolition of the death penalty, especially in circumstances where there is no complete confidence in the judicial system in the country. However, almost everyone is silent now. Both the victims and the relatives of the defendants do not want to recall those events.
Arkadz Nestsyarenka, Belsat. Photo PhotoXpress / ZUMAPRESS.COM / FORUM