Minsk: Cases of two arrested Belsat contributors taken to court

The cases of Katsyaryna Andreyeva and Darya Chultsova have been sent to Frunzenski district court of Minsk, officer Nadzeya Antonik says on Facebook.

Antonik’s post is entitled ‘Information for mass media’. Notably, no one informed the two girls’ families of the legal action.

“The Frunzenski district court office representatives stated that the date of the hearing would be set within a week. The judge has not been appointed yet,” Andreyeva’s husband Ihar Ilyash told Belsat.

Last week, Ilyash suggested that the probe into his wife’s case might have been completed. In the letter he received on January 9, the imprisoned journalist wrote that she was awaiting the transfer to Minsk from the remand prison in the town of Zhodzina.

Банер у падтрымку незалежных журналістаў

In mid November, Belsat TV journalist Katsyaryna Andreyeva (Bakhvalava) and camerawoman Darya Chultsova were detained immediately after their livestreaming and covering the brutal crackdown on protesters who gathered in the so-called Square of Change, one of the offstreet yards on Charvyakou Street in Minsk. Earlier, Minsker Raman Bandarenka had been abducted from that yard and beaten to death.

Chultsova and Andreyeva are accused of ‘organising and preparing actions that grossly violate public order’ (Art. 342-1 of the Criminal Code). If found guilty, the two girls may be sentenced to up to three years of imprisonment.

On November 24, Belarusian human rights activists recognised them (along with TUT.BY reporter Katsyaryna Barysevich) as political prisoners.

Lukashenka regime sentenced Belarusians to 227 years in prison

Belsat.eu

 

News